Best Way to Insulate a Garage Door?

johnluke

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to insulate my garage door to help regulate the temperature better, especially in extreme weather. I've seen a few options, like foam board, reflective insulation, and fiberglass. Does anyone have experience with these?

Which one offers the best balance of energy efficiency and durability? My garage isn't heated, but I do spend time working there, so I want it to be a bit more comfortable. Also, how hard is it to install insulation myself? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey there!

I've insulated my garage door before, so I can share some insights. Foam board insulation is a popular choice due to its great R-value (insulation rating) and ease of installation. It’s durable and adds decent energy efficiency without being too thick. Reflective insulation works well in hotter climates since it reflects heat away, but it’s not as effective in colder weather. Fiberglass is efficient but can be tricky to handle and prone to moisture issues if not installed perfectly.

If you're considering professional help, TLSEnergySavers offers some great options for garage door insulation. If you’re comfortable with DIY projects, foam board is fairly easy to cut and stick on with adhesive. Just measure your panels, cut the boards to size, and secure them in place. You'll notice a temperature difference!

Comment